In 2023 Arataki is introducing Cohort Entry.
Cohort Entry refers to new entrant children starting school as a group, at the beginning or mid point of a term, AFTER THEIR FIFTH BIRTHDAY. This means they will no longer be starting school on their fifth birthday. Whānau will continue to have the option of not starting their child in school until their sixth birthday.
What are the benefits of Cohort Entry for our tamariki?
Cohort Entry will help children to settle better in school.
- There is evidence to suggest that starting school at the same time as a group of peers helps the children to build relationships and supports a smoother entry to school.
- New entrant teachers can prepare for groups of children arriving on a specific date rather than on an individual basis throughout the year. This will mean more continuity for learning programmes.
- Cohort Entry will all us to provide an increasingly targeted New Entrant Transition to School programme.
- It helps the school leaders to better plan to meet our staffing needs as we will have two designated start dates each term, which then ultimately ensures a better learning environment for your child.
- intake periods each term - at the start and mid points of the term.
- All new entrants who turn 5 before the start of the term can start at the beginning of that term, or at any intake dates before their 6th birthday.
- If their birthday falls after the start of the term but before the mid term date they can start on the mid term date, or an any intake dates before their 6th birthday.
- Children must have turned 5 before they can start school.
This will mean that we have eight dates during the year where our new entrants start school. Students won't be starting school on their birthday.
2023 COHORT ENTRY DATES
|Term||Start of Term Date||Mid-Term Date|
|1||31 January 2023||6 March 2023|
|2||26 April 2023||29 May 2023|
|3||17 July 2023||21 August 2023|
|4||9 October 2023||13 November 2023|
If you are receiving a childcare subsidy this can continue until the relevant cohort entry date, please go to the following link for more information on support.
If you have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 07 5753497.